For a number of years, the European skin regimen had a totally different approach to sun creams when compared to Korean skincare rituals. An average Korean woman and man will not leave their house to do even short groceries shopping without applying sun protection. In contrast, Europeans, as soon as the temperatures beginning to dip and days get shorter and shorter, have a nasty tendency to forget about sun creams. We think about SPF as a summer product only. We may remind ourselves of its existence when we are going skiing. This is only because we got a nasty sun burn in the past.
Nowadays not only Korean women, but also all dermatologist and aestheticians around the world will tell you that you need to protect your skin against UV rays all year round. Sun cream should be a habitual part of your daily routine.
Sunlight contains a spectrum of wavelengths, including visible and invisible light. Ultraviolet light forms part of the invisible spectrum of which, UVA and UVB reach the earth surface. UVA forms the majority of UV light and contributes to skin aging and the development of skin cancer as it penetrates deeper into the skin. UVB rays are weaker in the winter, however, UVA rays, which cause wrinkles and premature aging, are as strong as during the summer.
What is even more important is that no matter if you are skiing in the Alps or are spending all winter in the city working long hours in the office, you should use a broad-spectrum sunscreen.
Are you planning to hit the slopes this winter?
Remember the atmosphere is thinner at high elevations. This means an extra care should be taken when skiing as UV rays can be reflected off the snow and ice, leading to higher UV exposure. The intensity of UV rays can be increased by even 80-90 percent making it comparable to a summer day at the beach.
You need a sun cream with the broad spectrum protection, such as Dr. G Medi UV Ultra Sun Block SPF50+PA++++, which has brightening, anti-aging and protecting properties. If your skin is oily and prone to breakouts, go with Dr. G Brightening Up Sun SPF42 PA+++. For ladies who love to have a little bit of makeup, any of our BB creams, will be a good investment.
Spending winter in the city? Still, no excuses!
You can burn your skin through sun and wind exposure. When freezing temperatures leave your skin dry, irritated and sensitive, even 15 minutes spent in the sun is enough to cause a damage to your skin.
Even if you prefer to spend winter indoors, you’re still at risk of UVA skin damage. Up to 60-percent of UVA rays go right through window glass.
There are more and more studies showing that hyperpigmentation in the form of age spots and freckles can be caused by the light generated by PC monitors and smartphones. The great news is, we have an amazing product which is a 100% mineral sun cream and protects the skin from blue light. Check the amazing Dr. G Green Mild Up Sun SPF50+PA++++
For winter sun, we recommend the following steps:
- Apply sunscreen on all exposed areas, such as face, hands and especially nose and ears. Even if the day is cloudy, apply some SPF.
- Remember: The higher altitude, the higher the SPF. For a daily use, we recommend SPF30 as a minimum sun protection. If you are going skiing, we recommend SPF 50 with PA+++. UV intensity increases with altitude so your sun protection should be tailored accordingly.
- Protect your eyes. Your eyes are sensitive to UV radiation and need protection. Your sunglasses should deliver UVA and UVB protection.
- Your lips also need some true tender care. Especially in the winter, our lips dry out easily. As lips are not able to produce melanin, they can´t protect themselves against the sun. Apply a lipstick or cream with high sun protection. This will protect your lips from cold sore infection.
- Recovery time. No matter if you spent your day on the slopes or in the office, have a moisturizer in your bathroom cupboard. Your skin will need regeneration as cold temperatures and heating dry it out. A rich cream will replenish moisture, provide hydration and will not allow the skin to become dull and irritated. Check some of our moisturizers and get the one suitable for your skin type.